Shire of Waroona takes pleasure in recognising worthy recipients of a number of awards. Some are presented by the Shire, others are supported by the Shire.
Shire Of Waroona Youth Contributing To Community Award
The “Youth Contributing to Community Award” is a joint initiative of Shire of Waroona and Alcoa to identify and acknowledge young people in the Shire of Waroona who are contributing in a positive way to making our community a better place through providing voluntary assistance to other individuals or organisations.
As part of this recognition award, the successful nominee will be asked to name a local cause or charity of their choice to receive a monetary donation (sponsored by Alcoa).
Community members and organisations can nominate a young person between the age of 12 to 25 years by contacting the Shire of Waroona and providing a brief outline of why they wish to nominate the young person. Nomination forms are available at the Shire Office or by contacting Brad Vitale - Community Development Officer on 9733 7800, email email@example.com or by clicking here.
Nominations will be considered by a panel, and unsuccessful nominations will be carried forward for subsequent consideration.
As part of the recognition, the recipient will be required to have their photo displayed in the local newspaper, along with a brief outline of why they were chosen as that particular winner.
We thank you for taking the time to nominate and encourage the youth in our community. Further information or enquiries can be obtained from Brad Vitale - Community Development Officer on 9733 7800.
Australia Day Awards
The Australia Day Awards are a joint initiative of the Australia Day Council of Western Australia, the Western Australian Local Government Association (WALGA) and Her Excellency the Governor of Western Australia.
The recipients will be selected from nominees who have demonstrated active citizenship and;
- Made a significant contribution to the local community in the past year or over a number of years;
- Demonstrated leadership on a community issue resulting in the enhancement of community life;
- A significant initiative which has brought about positive change and added value to community life; and
- Demonstrated inspiring qualities as a role model for the community.
The recipients of the below awards will be recognised and presented with certificates and awards at the Australia Day Celebrations in Waroona on the 26th of January each year.
Nomination forms for Meritorious Community Service Awards and Australia Day WA Citizen of the Year Awards are available from the Shire Administration Office, or by contacting Brad Vitale - Community Development Officer on 9733 7800 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Please submit your nomination to:
Chief Executive Officer
Shire of Waroona
PO Box 20
WAROONA WA 6215
by no later than 4pm on the last Monday of October. This closing date is final for both awards.
Nominations for the 2017 Shire of Waroona Meritorious Community Service Award, and Australia Day Council Citizen of the Year Award are currently closed. Nominations will open for the 2018 awards in September 2017.
Shire of Waroona Meritorious Community Service Award
These awards acknowledge the voluntary contributions made by local people for the benefit of our community. Nominations are welcome from individual members of the public or from any local clubs and organisations for residents working in a voluntary capacity for the benefit of the community.
There are two categories for the Awards being:
- 25 Years and Over Meritorious Community Services
- Under 25 Years Meritorious Community Services
The number of 25 Years and Over, and Under 25 Years Meritorious Community Services Awards to be presented each year will be determined by the Council on a case by case basis.
Please click here for Meritorious Community Service Award Nomination Form
Australia Day Council Citizen of the Year Award
These awards foster, recognise and celebrate significant contributions to community life and active citizenship in all local government areas of Western Australia.
There are four categories for the Awards being:
- Citizen of the Year
- Citizen of the Year – Youth (under 25 years of age as of January 26, 2017)
- Citizen of the Year – Senior (over 65 years of age as of January 26, 2017)
- Award for Active Citizenship (community group / event)
Please click here for Australia Day WA Citizen of the Year Awards Nomination Form
Alcoa Peel Volunteer of the Year Awards
The Peel Volunteer of the Year Awards are a joint initiative of Peel Volunteer Resource Centre, Alcoa, Department of Sport & Recreation, Shire of Murray and City of Mandurah.
These awards acknowledge the voluntary contributions made by local people for the benefit of our community and the greater Peel region.
There are three categories for the Awards being:
- Peel Volunteer of the Year
- Peel Youth Volunteer of the Year
- Peel Sports & Recreation Volunteer of the Year
Volunteers from Not For Profit Organisations, Community Groups and Sporting Clubs are eligible to be nominated. Nominees must not have been nominated in the previous year's Peel Volunteer of the Year Awards. Self nominations are not accepted.
- Communities in at least one of: the Shires of Murray, Serpentine/Jarrahdale, Boddington, Waroona, and/or the City of Mandurah must be beneficiaries of the nominee’s voluntary work.
- Nominees must have made a significant contribution to the Peel Community through their volunteering efforts.
- Nominees must volunteer for a Not for Profit Organisation, a Community Group or a Sporting Club.
- Alcoa Peel Volunteer of the Year nominees must be 25 years of age or over.
- Alcoa Peel Youth Volunteer of the Year nominees must be 24 years of age or under.
- A maximum of three nominations per organisation per category is allowed.
- Nominees must not have been nominated in the 2015 Peel Volunteer of the Year Awards
All nominees and nominators will be invited to attend the Awards Breakfast to be held in December.