The Shire Of Waroona Is Deferring The Implementation Of The Requirement For 6 Star Energy Efficiency For New Homes Until 1 May 2012.
Every Builder and/or Owner Builder intending to construct a building, alter, add to, repair or underpin, demolish or remove an existing building should obtain a Licence before commencing that work.
Examples of buildings that require a Building Licence include, but are not limited to:
- Swimming Pools
- Masonry fences over 1200mm in height
- Retaining walls
- Patios & pergolas
Every Builder and/or Owner Builder making an application for a Building Licence should submit to the Director Community Services a completed Building Application envelope with the following details enclosed:
- Two (2) complete sets of drawings (to a scale of not less than 1-100) showing the following:
- a plan of every storey
- at least two (2) elevations of external fronts
- one or more sections
- the heights of each storey
- construction of the walls, floors and roof
- A4 or A3 size plans/drawings to be submitted.
- Two (2) copies of the site plan showing contours and the position of the proposed new building, and of any existing buildings on the site - to show distances from all boundaries and existing buildings.
- Two (2) copies of specifications detailing the materials to be used in the construction.
- Two (2) copies of signed original Engineer's footing and slab details (photocopies are not acceptable). Site inspection report required by Builder's Engineer.
- Septic tank applications are to be completed by the plumber and submitted with a cheque for $216 made payable to the Shire, together with a Site Plan depicting where the septics will be located. Alternative System applications to be submitted by the supplier.
- Owner Builder's Statutory Declaration, where applicable.
- If property is owned by a Company or Trust details of the Directors/Trustees required. Proof of ownership required if property is subject to settlement, eg. copy of Settlement Agent's letter, Offer and Acceptance, etc. If application is on behalf on the owner/s letter of authorisation from owner/s to be attached, i.e. letter from parents if child/children applying for second dwelling on a property.
- Building Application Form 2, completed and signed by Builder/Owner Builder.
- BCITF (Building Construction Industry Training Fund Levy), completed and signed together with payment 0.2% of project amount.
- As from 1 February 1997 copy of Home Indemnity Insurance, where appropriate. (**See additional note below).
- As from 1 July 1997, smoke alarms are required in all new dwellings and renovations to existing dwellings.
- Two complete sets of drawings (to scale of not less than 1-100) showing:
- At least (2) elevations of external fronts
- One or more sections including heights of walls
- Materials - type and sizes to be shown on plan
- A4 or A3 size plans/drawings to be submitted.
- Two (2) copies of site plan showing position of new shed/s and/or outbuildings and of any existing buildings on the site and distances from all boundaries and existing buildings.
- Engineers signed original verification required in slab and footing details (photocopies are not acceptable).
Two complete sets of drawings (A4 or A3 size plans/drawings to be submitted if possible) showing:
- Type, depth and size of pool (concrete pools require Engineer's details).
- Two (2) copies of site plan showing position of pool on the site; plan to show distances from all boundaries and existing buildings and septic and leach drains. Position of pool fence to be shown.
- Building Application forms will not be accepted unless all relevant information is submitted.
- **as from 1 February 1997 amendments to the Home Building Contracts Act 1991 will make it compulsory for builders to take out Indemnity Insurance before they are issued a Building Licence from a Local Government authority to perform residential building work over $20,000. Indemnity Insurance will not be required where the contract covers only the construction, or carrying out, of "associated work", ie swimming pools, pergolas, fences, landscaping and "other like works".
- **Owner Builders will not need to have Indemnity Insurance cover to obtain a Building Licence from the Local Government authority but must take out this form of insurance if they sell within seven (7) years of obtaining that Licence.
- Building Licence fees to be paid on lodgement of Building Application Form 2.
- Section 374 of the Local Government Act 1995 relates to penalties for unauthorised building work. The penalties are $50,000 plus $5,000 per day.
Planning Consent may be required in some cases - for further information contact Council's Planning Department.
To submit a Building Licence for a Dwelling/ Garage/ Shed/ Patio/ Swimming Pool please contact the Shire of Waroona office.
Application for a Demolition Licence is also available on request from the Shire Administration Office.
If you have any further queries please contact the Building Surveyor on 9733 7800 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org