Demolition Licences are required for any demolition work that is to be carried out within the Shire of Waroona.
There is an application fee (to be paid on application) of $96.00 per storey.
A $500.00 kerb/verge bond may be required and must be lodged with Council to ensure the protection of Council's kerb and verge during the demolition. This fee is fully refundable at the end of the demolition, if there is no damage done to the kerb or verge.
Relocation of asbestos cement houses to comply with the Health (Asbestos) Regulations 1992, as amended.
If the removal of asbestos cement is involved in the demolition, please see below for guidelines from the Department of Occupational Health, Safety and Welfare.
THE FOLLOWING PRECAUTIONS ARE RECOMMENDED WHEN REMOVING ASBESTOS CEMENT ROOFING AND WALL SHEETING FROM BUILDINGS AND STRUCTURES
- When removing asbestos cement building products, the surrounding area should have signs or barriers erected to warn of the danger and prevent unauthorised people entering.
- All people in the asbestos cement removal area should wear disposable coveralls, and either a class L or M disposable mask.
- The asbestos cement sheets should be sprayed with a PVA solution, or wet or kept wet, during removal.
SAFETY NOTE: THE SHEETS SHOULD NOT BE WET IF THIS CREATES A HIGH RISK OF A WORKER FALLING FROM A ROOF.
- No power tools should be used with the exception of removing screws.
- Asbestos sheets should be removed with minimal breakage and should be lowered to the ground, not dropped.
- The removed sheets are to be stacked on polythene sheeting, wrapped and sealed into appropriate bundles for disposal OR placed directly into disposal bins that have been lined with polythene sheeting and sealed for removal.
- Sheets should not be left lying about the site where they may be further broken or crushed by machinery or site traffic.
- When stacking the removed sheets, care should be taken not to skid one sheet over the surface of another as this action will result in scuffing and the release of fibres.
- Gutters are to be cleaned or sealed prior to their removal.
- Any asbestos cement residue remaining in the roof space or the removal area is to be cleaned up using an approved vacuum cleaner if necessary.
- All waste containing asbestos to be kept wet, wrapped in polythene or otherwise sealed and removed from the site as soon as practicable.
- Used disposable coverall and masks are to be placed in bags for removal with other asbestos waste.
- All waste containing asbestos to be disposed of at an approved site in accordance with the Health (Disposal of Asbestos Waste) Regulation 1984. Further information concerning disposal is available from the Health Department of Western Australia on (08) 9222 2000.
- Relocation of asbestos cement houses to comply with Health (Asbestos) Regulations 1992, as amended.
For further information and/or an application form, please contact Council's Building Surveyor on (08) 9733 7800 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org