The Shire of Waroona's Building Services Department is responsible for maintaining the standard of construction within the Shire by issuing approvals. Click on the relevant Application/Information forms to assist you with lodging a Building Application.

Please note that when paying for a building application you will require to do two cheques or two eftpos transactions. There will be one cheque/ eftpos transaction for Building Application Fee and another cheque/ eftpos transaction for Builders Services Levy and BCITF Levy. If you have any questions in relation to the payment of fees, contact Hayley Donovan on 9733 7800.

Building Control Legislation Changes

This page provides information on the proposed changes to Building Control which took effect on the 2 April 2012. The Building Act 2011 has replaced Parts viii, ix and xv of the local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1960.

New Building Approval Process

The Building Act 2011 has changed the current building approval process in WA and provide flexibility and choice for both builders and consumers when making an application. The new Act separates the process of certifying that a design complies with building standards from the administrative process of the local government issuing building approval (Building Permit).

A certificate of design compliance is issued by a registered building surveyor (in private practice or local government) to confirm certification, and a building permit is issued by the local government permit authority to confirm approval to build. Building companies are free to contract (but not directly employ) registered building surveyors and offer certification as part of the building service to their customers.

What else will change for builders?

In addition to the changes in respect of certifying design compliance, the Building Act 2011 introduces new requirements for construction and completion.

For all classes of building the builder must submit a notice of completion within 7 days of finishing the work under a permit. This notice establishes the end date of the building permit for compliance and record keeping purposes, and signifies the point from which the builder has fulfilled his obligations regarding compliance with the Building Act 2011.

A notice of completion does not affect contractual matters such as the contents or timing of a notice of practical completion or any requirements to make good any defects to a building before a final certificate is issued.


Mandatory inspections during construction are currently not a requirement however this will be an area for further reform. Inspections may be required by the certifier (registered Building Surveyor) approving the Certificate of Design Compliance before mandatory inspections apply. Inspections required to be carried out as part of the Certificate of Design Compliance are required to be noted on the Certificate.

How does that affect me?

From the 2 April 2012 if you are about to apply for a Building Permit, then you will need to make one of the following types of application to the local government / Permit Authority.

  • Uncertified, or
  • Certified

What is the difference between Uncertified and Certified applications?

An uncertified application process is similar to the current building approval process in that you lodge all of the documentation with the local government to have it assessed for compliance with the Building Code of Australia. If compliant the local government will issue you with a "Design Compliance Certificate". Once the Design Compliance Certificate has been issued the local government/ Permit Authority will then issue a Building Permit which will permit you to commence building.

A Certified application process is different in that as the owner or applicant you can choose to have your plans and other documents certified by a registered Building Surveyor, who if satisfied that your documents comply with the Building Code of Australia will issue you with a "Design Compliance Certificate". As the applicant you can use that certificate (Certificate of Design Compliance) to apply for a Building Permit from your local government/ Permit Authority which when issued will allow you to commence building.

What are my responsibilities as the applicant?

Under the new provisions of the Building Act you are responsible to ensure that ALL relevant approvals are in place before the application is made for a Building Permit. This may include such approvals as, Planning, Water Corp, Health Department etc.

Can I lodge my application and provide other information later?

Yes you can but the timeframe for ensuring that the information is provided and correct is very limited. Any additional information required to complete your assessment must be provided to the Shire within twenty one (21) days from the day the additional information is requested.

How long does the Shire have to approve my application?

The time to approve an application depends on the type of application made.
An uncertified application must be determined within thirty five (35) calendar days.
A Certified application must be determined by the local government/ Permit Authority in fourteen (14) calendar days.

What happens if the Shire takes longer than the prescribed time?

If the local government/ Permit Authority does not determine the application in the prescribed time then the application is deemed refused and the Shire is required to return the full fees paid for the application. However if the Shire has requested additional information and the information is not provided within the prescribed time then the application is deemed refused and the Shire retains the fees paid.

Who is a Registered Building Surveyor?

A Registered building Surveyor is a person who has been accredited as a Building Practitioner by the Building Commission. A register of building practitioners can be located on the Building Commission web site.

As a builder what are my responsibilities?

As the builder you are responsible to:

  • Ensure that you build your building in accordance with the approved Building Permit,
  • Ensure that any inspections noted on the Building Compliance Certificate have been carried out by a competent person,
  • Provide notification to the Permit Authority (the local government) within seven (7) days of completion of the building works being undertaken by the Building Permit issued.

Can I be an owner builder?

Yes, the Building Act enables owners to be builders. Approval to be an owner builder is to be obtained through the Building Commission. From the commencement of the Building Services (Registration) Act 2011, owner-builders will require approval from the new Building Services Board before they can apply for a building permit from a local government/ permit Authority.

An owner-builder will be permitted to take out a building permit once every six years and the current requirement that restricts an owner-builder from selling within three years will no longer apply under the new legislation.

Owner-builder applications that were received by the Board prior to commencement of the building services legislation will be dealt with under the previous process provided by the Builders' Registration Act 1939.

Where can I get the forms?

All forms required to be used under the Act are located on the Building Commission web site. Forms will also be available on the Shire’s web site. It is important to note that only the forms approved by the Building Commission can be used.

Other frequently asked questions relating to more detail aspects of the Building Act 2011 can be found on the Building Commission web site.

Owner Builder

An owner-builder is someone who is the owner of the land and chooses to undertake the building project as the “builder”.

Builders’ Registration Board (BRB) - Owner Builders

Under the Builders’ Registration Act, any person undertaking building work where the value exceeds $20,000 is required to be registered with the Builders’ Registration Board (BRB). As the landowner you may apply to the BRB to be approved as an owner-builder. The application for this is in the form of a statutory declaration. Conditions apply when approval is granted. See the BRB website for application forms and information relating to owner-builders:
You may be an owner-builder for any project without approval if the value of works is less than $20,000.

Value of works includes all materials and labour. The cost of labour must be calculated even if you are providing the labour component yourself. To assist in estimating the value of work, the approximate cost of construction as of June 2010 is $1000 per square metre of building. Up-to-date costs can be obtained from the Housing Industry Association or the Master Builders Association.

Fees And Charges

The fees and levys for applications depend on the type of application made.  Please contact the Shire Office on 9733 7800 to obtain the current fees and charges.

Applications Forms

Useful Links

Please click on the external useful links below for additional information to assist with various building projects and related information.