Building Licences

The Shire of Waroona Is Deferring The Implementation Of The Requirement For 6 Star Energy Efficiency For New Homes Until 1 May 2012.

Every Builder and/or Owner Builder intending to construct a building, alter, add to, repair or underpin, demolish or remove an existing building should obtain a Licence before commencing that work.

Examples of buildings that require a Building Licence include, but are not limited to:

  • Dwellings
  • Sheds
  • Garages
  • Swimming Pools
  • Masonry fences over 1200mm in height
  • Retaining walls
  • Patios & pergolas

Every Builder and/or Owner Builder making an application for a Building Licence should submit to the Building Surveyor a completed Building Application envelope with the following details enclosed:


Submission of:

  1. Two (2) complete sets of drawings (to a scale of not less than 1-100) showing the following:
    1. a plan of every storey
    2. at least two (2) elevations of external fronts
    3. one or more sections
    4. the heights of each storey
    5. construction of the walls, floors and roof
    6. A4 or A3 size plans/drawings to be submitted.
  2. Two (2) copies of the site plan showing contours and the position of the proposed new building, and of any existing buildings on the site - to show distances from all boundaries and existing buildings.
  3. Two (2) copies of specifications detailing the materials to be used in the construction.
  4. Two (2) copies of signed original Engineer's footing and slab details (photocopies are not acceptable). Site inspection report required by Builder's Engineer.
  5. Septic tank applications are to be completed by the plumber and submitted with the applicable fee made payable to the Shire, together with a Site Plan depicting where the septics will be located. Alternative System applications to be submitted by the supplier.
  6. Owner Builder's Statutory Declaration, where applicable.
  7. If property is owned by a Company or Trust details of the Directors/Trustees required. Proof of ownership required if property is subject to settlement, eg. copy of Settlement Agent's letter, Offer and Acceptance, etc. If application is on behalf on the owner/s letter of authorisation from owner/s to be attached, i.e. letter from parents if child/children applying for second dwelling on a property.
  8. Building Application Form 2, completed and signed by Builder/Owner Builder.
  9. BCITF (Building Construction Industry Training Fund Levy), completed and signed together with payment 0.2% of project amount.
  10. As from 1 February 1997 copy of Home Indemnity Insurance, where appropriate. (**See additional note below).
  11. As from 1 July 1997, smoke alarms are required in all new dwellings and renovations to existing dwellings.


  1. Two complete sets of drawings (to scale of not less than 1-100) showing:
    1. At least (2) elevations of external fronts
    2. One or more sections including heights of walls
    3. Materials - type and sizes to be shown on plan
    4. A4 or A3 size plans/drawings to be submitted.
  2. Two (2) copies of site plan showing position of new shed/s and/or outbuildings and of any existing buildings on the site and distances from all boundaries and existing buildings.
  3. Engineers signed original verification required in slab and footing details (photocopies are not acceptable).

Swimming Pools

Two complete sets of drawings (A4 or A3 size plans/drawings to be submitted if possible) showing:

  1. Type, depth and size of pool (concrete pools require Engineer's details).
  2. Two (2) copies of site plan showing position of pool on the site; plan to show distances from all boundaries and existing buildings and septic and leach drains. Position of pool fence to be shown.


  • Building Application forms will not be accepted unless all relevant information is submitted.
  • **as from 1 February 1997 amendments to the Home Building Contracts Act 1991 will make it compulsory for builders to take out Indemnity Insurance before they are issued a Building Licence from a Local Government authority to perform residential building work over $20,000. Indemnity Insurance will not be required where the contract covers only the construction, or carrying out, of "associated work", ie swimming pools, pergolas, fences, landscaping and "other like works".
  • **Owner Builders will not need to have Indemnity Insurance cover to obtain a Building Licence from the Local Government authority but must take out this form of insurance if they sell within seven (7) years of obtaining that Licence.
  • Building Licence fees to be paid on lodgement of Building Application Form 2.
  • Section 374 of the Local Government Act 1995 relates to penalties for unauthorised building work. The penalties are $50,000 plus $5,000 per day.

Planning Consent may be required in some cases - for further information contact Council's Planning Department.

To submit a Building Licence for a Dwelling/ Garage/ Shed/ Patio/ Swimming Pool please contact the Shire of Waroona office.

Application for a Demolition Licence is also available on request from the Shire Administration Office.

If you have any further queries please contact the Building Surveyor on 9733 7800 or by emailing