The Planning Department focuses on strategic and statutory planning for the Shire of Waroona. Their primary focus is in the following areas:

Initial enquiries can be directed to the Planning Department at the Shire Administration Office on (08) 9733 7800

or email

Environmental Planning Tool

The Environmental Planning Tool (EPT) provides a large range of data relevant to land use, infrastructure and environmental planning. The online tool has the capability to facilitate the inclusion of local data and the unique reporting functions allow easy and quick access to data interpretation.

The key benefits of using the EPT include:

  • increased time efficiency in undertaking desktop assessments for a specific site or an area of interest to inform land use planning at all levels or environmental planning;
  • ability to generate desktop assessment reports required for the implementation of a new Strategic Purpose Permit for native vegetation clearing for minor infrastructure projects, developed by the Department of Environment Regulation specifically for Local Governments; 
  • ability to access a wide range of updated data; and 
  • ability to communicate with wide range of stakeholders, including community volunteers. 

The EPT maps the location of threatened ecological communities and listed vulnerable and threatened flora and fauna species. Some areas of Waroona, such as Lake Clifton – located on the Swan Coastal Plain, contain mapped areas of threatened species like Tuart trees (Eucalyptus gomphocephala). It is estimate that only 35% of Tuart Woodlands (pre-European settlement) remain and approximately 67% of the existing tuarts are on freehold land. The mapping shows areas where tuarts will likely occur, however ground-truthing is required to validate the data provided by the mapping. 

To access the public version of the Environmental Planning Tool, please see the link below.

Green Growth Plan

The Perth and Peel regions are projected to grow to 3.5 million people by 2050 – an increase of almost 70% on our current population. Supporting this growth and delivering an efficient and liveable city while protecting our unique natural environment is a significant challenge. The State Government has prepared the draft Perth and Peel Green Growth Plan for 3.5 million to meet this challenge over a 30 year term.

The plan will endeavour to protect the environment through avoidance of environmental impacts and commitment to a long-term conservation action plan. The protective action will include:

  • the retention of Bush Forever sites;
  • and obtaining 170,000 hectares of conservation reserves in the Perth and Peel regions; and
  • a marine management area to be established for the Peel Harvey estuary to improve management and use of the RAMSAR listed site, specifically reduce nutrient inflow.

The draft Perth and Peel Green Growth Plan for 3.5 million can be downloaded from the below link.

Frequently Asked Questions

When is Planning Approval required?

Development approval is required for all proposed development and/or land uses unless otherwise exempt by legislation. In particular, a single house, extension of a single house, outbuilding, garage, verandah, patio, carport or swimming pool do not require development approval of the Shire if the relevant planning framework is complied with and the land and/or building is not affected by heritage requirements. Please note that a Building Permit may still be required even if your proposed development and/or land use is exempt from development approval. In circumstances where development approval is required you will need submit a development application to the Shire for assessment and determination.

Why do I need Planning Approval?

Generally speaking, development approval is required to ensure the amenity of the area or neighbourhood is not adversely affected by your proposed development and/or land use and to ensure the orderly and proper development of the Shire

How long does it take to get Planning Approval?

From a statutory standpoint the Shire has 60 days to determine a development application if no public consultation is undertaken and 90 days to determine a development application if public consultation is undertaken. The Shire endeavours to determine development applications well within these statutory timeframes.

How long does Planning Approval last?

Planning Approval lasts for 2 years from the date of the approval unless otherwise specified in a condition of approval. Planning Approval will generally lapse if the development and/or land use has not completed or substantially commenced within two years of the date of the approval.

Planning Approval also runs with the land. For example, if a landowner was granted Planning Approval for a patio but didn’t build it before selling the house, the new owner can construct the patio as per the approved plans provided it is prior to the expiry date of the approval.

Can I subdivide my lot?

Subdivision of land is dependent upon several factors, including the requirements of the Shire’s Town Planning Scheme, the Residential Design Codes of WA and any relevant planning strategies. Subdivision in WA is governed by the Western Australian Planning Commission (WAPC). Subdivision applications are made to the WAPC who then refer applications to the relevant local government for a recommendation. If you are interested in subdividing it is suggested you contact the Shire’s Planning Department for advice in the first instance

What is a Building Envelope?

A building envelope is the designated area on a property where buildings are to be contained. These generally apply to rural residential areas within the Shire. The purpose of building envelopes is to cluster development, protect vegetation and other environmental features and address bushfire protection.

Building envelopes are most commonly determined for properties when the land is originally subdivided. Most building envelopes are 2000m² in area

Am I able to modify my allocated Building Envelope?

Building Envelopes can be modified through a Planning Approval issued by the Shire. Considerations in assessing applications for the relocation of Building Envelopes include the protection of vegetation and amenity, as well as bushfire protection.

What size shed can I build on my property?

The Shire’s Outbuildings Local Planning Policy contains maximum sizes for sheds for the Shire’s residential areas. The policy prescribes maximum floor area, wall and ridge heights dependent on the size of your property.

Can I keep livestock on my Rural Residential property?

Some Rural Residential areas are prohibited to keep livestock under the Shire’s Local Planning Scheme. Where keeping of livestock is permitted it is required to be in accordance with the Stocking Rate Guidelines prepared by the Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development.

Stocking Rate Guidelines